“He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:30
Decrease. It’s not always something we look at positively. To many, giving up things we have or things we do means giving up and giving up means…defeat. And, when it comes to the season of Lent, giving up becomes a task to be completed. Instead of looking at it as a fast, it just becomes something we want to get over, well…fast. But, what if we didn’t look at giving up as a task or something to be ashamed of? What if we looked at decrease as a way to trigger our hearts into motion? What if by giving up the things that weigh down our minds, we increased our capacity to engage our hearts with Jesus? As we decrease ourselves, we increase Christ. This Lent, The Water’s Edge invites you to join us for Decrease.
Sunday, Feb. 21st
Sunday, Feb. 28th
Sunday, March 7th
Sunday, March 14th
Sunday, March 21st
Click on the date to read each day’s devotion.
Click on the date to read each day’s scripture reading.
Daily Fast & Reflections Journal
Beginning on Ash Wednesday, February 17th, The Water’s Edge invites you to embark on a journey of decrease with us. Over the next 40 days, WE will decrease the things in our lives that block out the light. Not just any light. His light. As WE fast from these things together, our prayer is that WE will increase our awareness of His presence in our lives.
Each day, WE invite you to use this study guide – individually, as a family, with friends or with your House Church – to lead you through the day’s practices. In this guide you will find:
- Fasting From – Over the next 40 days (Sundays are for Sabbath and are excluded), WE will fast from a specific thing/activity each day. As WE decrease these things from our lives, let us replace the space they once filled with Jesus.
- Gratitude – Start today with gratitude. What are three things you are grateful for?
- Prayer – Share with God what is on your heart today.
- Fasting Reflection/Examen – How did God reveal himself to you during your fast? How did you see your relationship with God increase during your decrease of other things?
- Read & Respond – Read today’s scripture selection. As you read, immerse yourself in the story and write down any thoughts, questions or reflections you have.
- Let Your Mind Wonder – Questions to ponder.
- Kairos – A place to journal how God has been working in you through the fasting.
- Thinking Out Loud – Weekly Devotions written by members of The Water’s Edge Community.
- Prayers & Blessings – to help you on your journey.
If you have any questions about this guide or the Decrease series, let me know. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.